Happy Birthday little Amelia. Part One.

Happy Birthday little Amelia. Part One.

22.45 on the 6th November 2010 while mummy is trying to have an early night my waters break, which was one hell of a shock and an experience I can not even begin to explain so I won’t lol. Did not want to wake up Sascha at first as just because your waters break it does not mean that labour always follows soon after and I wanted him to get as much sleep at possible so waking him up before I really knew was not an option. Rang the delivery suite at the hospital to ask their opinion as after all I had never done this before and they tell you that you should ring the hospital as soon as your waters break. They told me to check the colour to check that baby had not had a bowel movement and then just to sit tight and count the time between contractions and the length between them. Went back upstairs and by this time Sascha was awake and was asking me what was wrong, once I had explained he did not stay in bed for long. Contractions started to get more painful and a lot closer together but they were not lasting for a minute.

Called mum to tell her that the time had come to collect Cleo, so she came round and was talking to me while Sascha and I started to get things ready to make a move to go to the hospital. The contractions were getting to the point that they were only 2 minutes apart, which is a lot closer than the 5 minutes when they say you should start making your way to the hospital. Rang delivery suite again and told them, but they still while not happy that the contractions were not lasting a minute so they told me to come in but take your time in doing so as they were having a really busy night. Waited as long as I could at home with mum and Sascha talking me through my contractions till it got to the point Sascha decided enough was enough and we were going to the hospital whether the contractions were lasted a minute or not they were coming thick and fast. Said goodbye to mum and started our journey to the hospital which was an experience to say the least, the whole thing was a haze with an contraction coming every 2 minutes, and once we got to the hospital I still had to slowly make my way up to the third floor which delivery suite was on, and that seemed to take ages, but at least I was there things could only get better couldn’t they.

Finally made it up there and we had to go and wait in the waiting room until a room became available for us, I remember sitting there for an hour having very painful contractions and just dealing with them with the help of my TENS machine, while watching the room fill up more and more, till it got to the point people were sitting outside, the thing being a first come first serviced basis. I was just so relived when we got into the birthing room, and it wasn’t long before I was on that gas and air which Sascha actually asked for, for me. Well one of the two of us had to be with it, and I certainly was not.


What do you think?

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.